Gainesboro – Jackson County Chamber of Commerce

Monthly Membership Meeting

August 10, 2017

11:30 a.m.

 

The Gainesboro – Jackson County Chamber of Commerce met on Thursday, August 10, 2017 at Giovanni’s at 11:30 a.m.  Meeting was called to order by President Frank Hardegree.  Members and Guests were welcomed.

Minutes for July 13,  2017  were not submitted due to absence of Secretary.

Sam Petty presented the Treasurer Report.  There was no change in special events balance.  No change in Amphitheater account.  It was decided at the Board Meeting to use the $260 dollars donated in the memory of Kay Smith be added to amphitheater account and the plaque that list all donors be put in her memory.  General account was standard.  (light bill etc.)  Maberry Web Designs just finished the new Chamber Web site.  He was paid $500 for his work.  $37.50 was spent to transfer name.  Balance left is $8,054.94.  Alice Barlow made a motion to approve Treasurer Report and was seconded by Jim Whitaker.  Motion carried.  Membership update was also given with a total of 92 members.

Kirk the Health Coordinator with Regional Department of Health spoke to us about a new program implemented to develop better health in the community.

Rebecca Vaughn talked to us about a program to educate community on being healthy.

A Volleyball Tournament was discussed and would be partnered with Jaycees.  A place to have tournament was discussed and possibly would be behind EATON Building.

New website is up and looks very good.  New logos were reviewed and it was decided which one would be used.  One was chosen that is neat, clean and simple.  We should order at least 200 hundred logos.  Stickers to be on backside.

TN Downtowns was discussed.  Grant was received for $15,000 dollars a year for 2 years.  Chose to use $10,000 toward façade restoration.  Has to be in historical district.  Certain percent of this money goes toward things like new awnings, new doors, new windows and signage.  Should have package for grants by next week.  State will meet with us to get started.  Need three people on a committee to decided who will use grants.  $5000 goes toward wayfare signage.  Will meet with TDOT.  This opens us up for larger grants when we implement the above.

Office Personnel was discussed.  WIOA program split.  Office Personnel must be 55+.  Have to meet an income guideline.  Will be 20 hours a week.  Need someone with goo computer skills and good with the public.  Volunteers needed at chamber office.

Amphitheater was discussed.  Waiting on engineers outline of theater.  Have to have this so Historical Commission will approve.  Right now we are on a standstill.  Close to $50,000 dollars on amphitheater account from several grants.  To be done in phases.  First phase will cost approximately 75 to 85 thousand dollars.  Have to have Federal Approval.

Rack Cards were discussed.  We received 10,000 rack cards just like the ones we had.  Cost was $595.  Need to order more next time.

Chili Cookoff will be on October 7, 2017.  Cooking will be done between the hours of 10 and 12 a.m.  Cost is $25.00 to enter.  Contact Sam Petty for entries.  October 6 and 7, 2017 will be the Art Walk.

It was decided to have Membership Meeting at lunch during the day at 11:30 a.m.  It was decided to rotate restaurants next Membership Meeting will be at Charro’s.  Sam made a motion to approve and Jim Whitaker seconded it.  Motion carried.

River Towns was discussed.  A  visit was made to the Blue Heron in Ashland City.   Working on River cruises and going to try to implement.

Ghost Walk was discussed and decided to have on October 14th.  There will be follow up meetings.

There was open discussion and with no more new or old business to discuss meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Jane Brown, Secretary